Originally Posted by Canazes9
1) Don't make a bunch of anything until you've tested the loads and know you're gonna be happy with the finished product.

2) It's foolish not to start load development for any load at max COAL (max mag length, a light kiss, whatever your limiting factor is). If you start at max COAL then shorten your loads you will never get into pressure trouble. Barnes bullets are no different, two of my rifles shoot best accuracy w/ Barnes bullets at max COAL.

3) Loading over max book loads is no big deal as long as you have a reliable chronograph and are targeting a barrel length compensated book velocity. Targeting velocities over book is asking for trouble. If you don't have a reliable chronograph book max is your powder charge limit.

4) Get some RL17. It works really well in the 30-06. It generally will get you ~100fps over H4350 at same pressures. In cartridges where the load results in a full case of powder ( it will in this case), it won't have any appreciable temp. sensitivity.

David

This is a good post & you should pretty much use this as a model for load development.

I've found that Barnes TTSX & TSX are pretty forgiving bullets for the most part & I've got guns that shoot them lcose to the lands & others that a a pretty good jump............mainly due to mag constraints but in all those case, accuracy is within expectations. I prefer less jump all thing being equal & if I can get there with the mag in a given gun.

My only other comment is on the powder choice...........RL-17 has not been as consistently accurate across multiple rifles & loads as H4350 has been for me, hence, I really prefer H4350. If an '06 doesn't like that powder, it's a pretty rare bird.

And the 168 TSX has been a very accurate bullet for me.

MM