Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by TheKid
Leupold one piece base is what mine had on it. And yes on stabilizing 100gr Partitions. Mine was one of the very first 260s produced and it shot fine with 120 Ballistic tips and numerous 140s, all of which would be longer than 100gr Partitions.

Years after when I ended up with another early M7 with only 3 base holes I simply chucked it in the mill and drilled and tapped the 4th hole. Easy job that opens up a bunch of mounting options.

Is adding a second hole in the rear bridge a fairly simple job? I'm contemplating having this done in the future and an squeamish about letting any local smiths do it.

It’s about as simple a gunsmithing job as there is. The way I do it is to put a base on the front ring, 700 base will work. Level receiver using the base in both axis. Locate the rear bridge hole and set zero. Move over the required amount to get to where the new hole goes. Center drill then drill and tap a 6x48 through hole. Deburr and you’re done.

I appreciate the response and apologize to 100grNP for stepping on his thread.

It sounds fairly straightforward, but definitely beyond what I have for tools. I'll have to hope for an honest smith in my area if I choose to move forward with this project.

Thanks again.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile