Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.
I used to hunt occasionally with a guy who used a 375 H&H on deer and elk. He jokingly said that it was great in timber because he could shoot through a tree to hit a deer.

Back about 1980, I was on an elk hunt in eastern Oregon with some much older companions.
One, Jerry, had a pre64 Winchester in .375 H&H. He was running 270gr Hornady rnsp bullets and I just had to shoot it. We tacked something on a lodgepole pine and I shot it several times. Later in the week I just happen to come down that same draw after a hunt and came across the targeted tree from the back side.... I was amazed to find large blown out splintered exit holes in that tree!! Maybe a 10" diameter trunk.

Jerry, did tell me of an elk he killed after his .375 bullet went through a pine burl and struck the elk knocking it down. It took another shot to settle him down, but he got his game.
Those guys were toting a .375, .338's and Ackley "06's..... I was in Looney heaven!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....