Okay, range day...
I'll just start out saying that I do NOT reload, yet. I plan to and I really like the 165gr Accubonds in my 308 and look forward to the 338 versions, whatever weight they may be. Just as I don't reload at the moment, I am also at the mercy of my local public range. I didn't think to ask for the targets back and measure them for the most accurate of results, but I was able to take pics of the displays of the targets. Apologies for the grainy photos.

1) The rifle: the 338 Fed was a joy to shoot. Really not much of a difference from some of the 308 165gr loads I've shot. As this was a rebored barrel, I figured to go through a break-in session before I got to the ammunition selection process. This proved easy enough and the rifle quickly came into its own after about 20+ rounds and a few cleaning breaks.

2) Soft points 200gr Vital Shok: I had a grip of these so they were my "plinking" break-in rounds as well as a test round. I was not impressed... at first. After the break-in session I shot these again and had a remarkable 3 round group for me. 3 shots at just about 1MOA, before I got greedy and sent 2 fliers (pic below). Still very accurate. I was able to repeat groups with stacked shots twice more. This will continue to be my practice round and a deer round. I also wouldn't hesitate to take this in the field for elk, unless those of you here have strong reasoning or objection to this. I figure at 338 Fed velocities and 200gr, the cup-n-core bullet can't be a BAD choice. I know there are better choices and I have one, but a decent second choice.

3) Trophy Copper 200gr: Really wanted this bullet to work out. It didn't. 2.5" groups at 100yrds was one of the better groups. Rifle didn't seem to like it, this will not be my load.

4) Trophy Bonded Tip (TBT) 200gr: The group pictured is right at 1MOA. I shot 4 more confidence groups, identical results, 1 of them was sub-MOA. To be clear, I am not what I would call a MOA-shooter. Not with any regularity at least. This will be my primary load until I find the courage to get into reloading.

Overall, Bergara makes a great and accurate rifle, minus their appalling bluing job. The IOTA Krux stock stiffened this rifle up considerably and provided for more consistency. Reboring the rifle to 338 Fed from JES Rebore made this rifle more accurate than it ever was from the factory. Finally I have the rifle I wanted with a load (200gr TBT) that gives me confidence for mule deer and elk, so long as I do my part within my comfortable ranges.

Attached Images
soft point 2.jpg (29.15 KB, 490 downloads)
TBT.jpg (34.55 KB, 493 downloads)
Trophy Copper.jpg (18.16 KB, 488 downloads)

I hear what you are saying, but we need to pull fire...