Ok, dumb question. How do I know when my barrel is clean? My method is to use a patch and jag first with powder solvent, and by the third or fourth patch it comes out clean usually. Then I put the bronze brush on and do 10 strokes with that. Then back to one wet patch. Then I repeat. 10 strokes with the brush, one wet patch, etc. It seems no matter how many times I repeat this, sometimes 10 times, or 100 total brush strokes, the first patch after the brush is always black. Is my gun that dirty and I need to keep repeating this? Or is the brush making it seem dirty when it really isn’t? I don’t seem to have a problem with copper fouling. Sweets, with a nylon brush seems to keep the blue out, but the black patch after lots of brushing has me puzzled.

I admit when I was a kid, ok-22 years old, I didn’t do a good job keeping rifles clean, and I’m sure some had 100+ rounds between cleaning. I haven’t shot much in the last ten years but trying to shoot more now and do better job taking care of my equipment so I can teach my 7 year old proper methods.

Thanks.

Again. Again. Again. -H. Brooks.