Originally Posted by Kimberman
For doves, quail, pigeons, crows, and grouse, I like a 1 1/8 ounce 3 dram Trap load. Rem Nitro 27 or Win Super Handicap in 7.5s are impessive on birds in that size range. I dont really see the point of beating yourself with a 1 1/4 ounce load in a dove field when its not going to buy you more or quicker kills. Magnum shot is a big advantage over standard chilled shot, thus target grade ammo is a better bet for hunting than the cheap stuff. In my 20 gauge I recently came to love the new Win Super Sport load, 7/8 ounce of 7.5s at 1300 FPS...equally impressive on birds as well as clays. I only load 2 shot sizes these days, 7.5 and 5s; these 2 sizes cover all of my clays and hunting needs. I will say that if chuckar, pheasant, rabbits, or squirrels is being hunted, I prefer 5s or 6's with plated shot in a 1 ounce load doing around 1200 in my 20.

Great post, Kimberman. If I was going to limit myself to just-two sizes of shot, I could easily see myself doing what you're doing. Also I totally agree about using quality magnum [hard] shot in all shooting applications.