Originally Posted by ihookem
I turned a page in my deer hunting this year. All my life I went " up north " to hunt deer. I even have a nice little camp in NW WIs. I hunt there every year and like it. However, for several years, I have been hunting deer more and more near my house. Yesterday I finally shot a deer with my gun down here. Hunting on public land in S.E. Wisconsin is a whole different world than up north. Up north there are very few hunters and very few deer. Down here there are a lot more deer but the hunters are all over the place.. I got a doe 8 mi. from my house . My cabin , I love it there , but it is 486 mi. round trip. It is making more sense to just stay down here and hunt more as years go by . I likely tipped the scales. I sure see more deer down here. About 50% of the hunts, I will see a deer , or several of them at a time . I used a .243 Win. with my hand loads. The bullet was a Hornady 100 gr. boat tail. It blew out the liver and it ran about 100'. It sure is nice hunting close to home, but up north is a true northern Wisconsin hunting camp.

Interesting to hear. Congrats on the deer. I just got back from a week “up north” and there were more hunters than we’ve seen in 15 years. Strangely enough, we also the most deer we’ve seen in years. Yesterday, I saw 16 deer. Mostly does but a few bucks. Nothing I cared to shoot. We are in Douglas Co.

Camp is where you make it.