Originally Posted by cooper57m
My favorite is Highland Park 12 or 18 but I had an Aberlour 12 Double Cask earlier this year that was very nice indeed. I have a nice Japanese malt, Nikka Coffey Malt (Coffey is a type of still, it's not coffee flavored) which has a nice rich chocolate note that makes it a fine after dinner dram. And - - - chilling any alcohol retards volatilization which will effect the smell (nose) of the whisky and since smell is a large part of taste, chilling will effect taste. With a nice, aged, single malt, you've paid for that flavor; you might as well get all the flavor you've paid for.

Highland Park 12 is my go to drink and I've got two bottles of 18 in the cabinet I sip on for special occasions. Balvenie Doublewood 12 is another favorite of mine.

I agree with all you say about ice, it's blasphemy to put ice in good whisky. However, with the number of times on this thread I've counted guys listing cheap rotgut bourbon as their favorite drink it doesn't surprise me a bit. What can you say? There are plenty of guys that want steak well done and think Kim Kardashian's enormous ass is sexy.