MOUNTING: -I'm kinda short, so I was thinking I would either need a straight tube scope or some extended mounts. (I went with extended mounts. Straight tube scopes don't seem to gather enough light.)

-Thinking about talley steel bases/ rings with quick release. ( I strted with leupold QR rings. I went to Quad Locks, Warne steel weaver bases)

-Trying to figure out if the standard bases would work or if I should go with an extended front or double extended. I am planning on leaving the irons on it.( many scopes reqire extended bases or rails.)

OPTICS:

-Thinking about a low power variable. I like having a 1x or 1.5x or something low enough where I can see the end of the barrel on the low end.(I tried a 1.75-6 Leupold with a heavy reticle at first. I am swithching to a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. I use them on most of my rifles and am used to them. They are plenty qick for me.)

-Want a very simple but versatile reticle. I really like the zeiss #4, but I also really like the trijicon triangle post. (Duplex or illuminated dot in a Duplex like on my AR.I like the same reticle on everything.)

-illumination is optional, but I see alot of scopes in this range come with it. (Nice if available)

-Want a tough scope, its going to be traveling in lots of vehicles, get bumped around in the woods, and take the recoil of a decently light 375 H&H. I have a few light kimber montanas in 30-06 and 300WSM that have killed a few leupold erectors. I don't want that to happen on this rifle. (The answer to that is likely a fixed power.)

-As mentioned above I am thinking straight tube, but I could be convinced to go with a 32-42mm objective scope provided it meets the other criteria, and I have confidence I can mount it given the action length. Most of my current crop of 1.5-5x, 1.8-8x, 2-8x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x scopes on other rifles would be a stretch to fit. (2.5-8x36-pass it on.)

With all this I'm about 50% on the way to ordering a Trijicon TR25 1-6x24 and I'm about half and half on using their triangle reticle or their #4, the #4 looks real good on paper, but I haven't been able to try one yet. (Good choice)

[/quote]