Originally Posted by Torqued
Unless you're using a hunting ballistic tip it won't exit. I used to carry a 257 why. loaded pretty hot with 100 gr nosler ballistic tips. Always had a shot/flop. Deer absorbs 100% of the bullet energy,never had an issue. I use 120 gr hunting ballistic tips in my 7-08, loosing a deer isn't a concern with it for damn sure,but don't expect to recover a bullet or get much usable meat from the front shoulders.

Absorbing energy has nothing to do with it. If a bullet penetrates one inch, breaks up and stops, the critter has absorbed all the "energy" and ends up with a wound, maybe fatal, maybe not. It's how much damage the bullet does to vital organs that kills a critter, not how much energy it absorbs.

A bullet that stays together and penetrates is going to provide more consistent results. Maybe not the bang flops, but unlikely to blow up on a shoulder and leave a wounded or mortally wounded critter to run off.

As JG suggests, using a light, more frangible bullet at hyper speeds is asking for it.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.