Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Q-dog (OP, in case you didn't catch the reference grin), hope you don't mind me stepping in on your thread.

MuskegMan - sporties are limited to 5-3/4" and greater, measured across the carapace just in front of the points. Commies are 6-1/4". The pic below is around 7-3/4" or so.

rong - Here's a pic of a couple of Danielson traps I dropped "inside" (meaning inside the bay) using my 18' aluminum boat at the mouth of the Columbia River a couple weeks ago. I must have dropped my three traps right on top of a huge herd of mega sized males. We can keep 12 Dungeness males, and can only fish with three traps. It was painful having to rail dump several limits. I was able to make it back out two or three more times and hit the jackpot each time. No females, no undersized. Just a 20 minute soak. (And some folks wonder why we live in Oregon? IDGAF, there's just more crab/salmon/halibut/tuna/rockfish/lingcod/clams/etc. for us dumbass Oregonians!)

I also fish the ocean out of the same port as the OP, with a 25' Grady White. Ocean crab are generally larger and more full of meat than river/bay crab, but the ocean doesn't always let us out to play.

OP - since your boat is in the barn for the winter, I'll give you a buzz next time I go ocean crabbing. I think I know how to get in touch with you. Might even still have your number from when I bought the 1894C from you a few years back. (Jeezus, has it been that long ago?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man that is badass. Blue Crabs we have on the east coast are great, but those Dungeness are just a unique culinary gift.