There is only one satisfactory method of skinning squirrels I know of and it takes less than a minute to accomplish. I have heard it called many thing like the tail method or pants method but once you learn it you'll never do it any other way. Works on them hot or cold. But of course warmer is better. Any other method I tried in my misspent youth had all the charm of pulling up glued down carpet. I could never square the joy of hunting squirrels with the misery of skinning them. One day whilst struggling with a bunch of hard won squirrels as a young autodidact sportsman I remembered the comic like drawings in my Hunters Safety Class pamphlet/book of the dressing of various game. I remember laughing in class about how absurd the exercise appeared for squirrel but I dashed from the garage to my room and after some bit of rummaging about found it and did my best approximation of the exercise and by the third squirrel I was from then on forever adept. I am sure there are probably dozens of videos on youtube on it and every so often I get an email with a link from one of my kids or old hunting buddy of some master of the craft. I always told everyone that I would skin any squirrels that were shot in the head, if otherwise they were on there own. My kids about wore me out some weekends at camp. But I have tons of fond memories of the feasts we would have after of stewed squirrels and homemade noodles. I'll never forget spying my then toddler daughter gnawing on a squirrel scapula with all the relish of the most feral human being ever to walk the earth. Such joy.