Had a regular Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and for some fun put some .410's threw it. I couldn't knock an empty beer can off a post at 15 yards with it. No doubt due to the rifling spraying the shot hither and yawn but I just had to find out for myself.

The all too common moment of stupidity I sold it before they became super popular. Have regretted it ever since and no doubt will pay way more than I sold the original one for if I go back.

When the Winchester 9410 came out I special ordered one for "the kids" (more accurately for the the big kid). It is a sweet and gorgeous little carbine. Only critter I took was a California ground squirrel sitting on a rock pile about 30 yards away. Touched it off and the squirrel flew about 3 feet in the air tumbling end over end. Spectacular! #4 shot. I don't recall what choke I had in the barrel but I remember every thing else about the event. Oldest daughter claims it as hers, but she is going to have to wait a bit before I let it go.

When there was fear the riots and protests were going to come to the suburbs the 9410 was one I kept handy. My logic being it would repel the anarchists but not zip right threw them AND into a neighbor's house down the street.

In short, I am a fan of the lever action .410's, with smooth bores.

LM

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.