Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by adam32
BC will outrun velocity every time.

Depends what ranges you're talking about too and impact velocity to make sure the bullet will expand into game.

Actually it dosent.
In my 36” barreled 30x378 which i used for Pa long range hunting for about 30 years, i got 3500 fps with a 200 gr smk.
I never bothered to chronograph the 240 smk because the 200 shot with considerably less clicks on the scope at 1500 yds than the 240 did.
At 1700 yds the opposite was true, but then we never killed any deer at 1700 either.
Same goes for the 338s which is what i rebarreled to after my old barrel shot out.
The 250 will out perform the 300 gr as for added elevation to at least 1500 yds, depending on the cartridge.
Now these are actual (observed) differences done by shooting.
The difference is the heavier bullets are more consistant at the longer distances, but they dont shoot flatter for the most part.
Velocity rules, with every bore diameter.

The 250 in 338 certainly shoots flatter but has much more wind drift

Yep, you guys get it. At some point the heavy bullet's velocity is slow enough vs the lighter quicker bullet that the longer time in flight and windage deflection is the same or actually worse. Elevation is not a big deal as it's pretty much a constant, and can be dialed in whereas windage/wind is not. Max velocity potential is limited by the cartridge and bullet weight. True that velocity, not BC would always win, but unfortunately the velocity potential is limited by the cartridge. Run the ballistics on the Hornady app and you'll see that there's an equilibrium point with 700yd+ long ranges.