I traveled all over the North America wilderness for fifty years using a USGS map and a compass. I was always able to determine my location. The nice thing about a map and compass is that you don't have to worry about running down the battery. So remember that a GPS unit is not a substitute for a map and compass. It's an augmentation.

Sixteen years ago, I got a Garmin etrex Summit. It's simple, easy to use, lightweight, and very user friendly. It provides limited info. So don't ask too much of it. I still loan it to my grandson. Tell him to set camp and the truck as a waypoint and he can always find his way back.

Then I bought a Garmin GPSmap64st. I can't say anything good about this unit so I won't say anything except don't buy one.

Then I bought a subscription for GAIA GPS mapping program and loaded it on a Samsung E Tab. I like the program and I like the big screen of the tablet but it is a little too big to carry in a pocket and a few ounces more than I want to carry when backpacking. Just the same, I used the combination for several years and it always worked fine.

Recently I loaded the GAIA program on my cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy A71. I really like the combination. The screen is more than big enough and the program is very reliable. When I switched from the tablet to the cell phone, all of my downloaded maps and waypoints were automatically transferred from the tablet to the cell phone. I guess the data must be stored on the web.

BTW you don't have to have a cell phone signal for the system to work in the wilderness. You do have to have a cell phone signal (or a WIFI connection) to download USGS maps of where you want to go. So a little prior preparation is required. But you can always get a satellite signal, no matter where you are on the planet and, if you have downloaded the map, know where you are. The program and locator pointer works fine in airplane mode also. One of the layers is GAIA maps, and that info is always available even when you haven't previously loaded the USGS map. They're not quite as good as USGS maps, but good enough in a pinch.

I have no experience with onX maps program. But I suspect that it has similar capabilities to GAIA.

Don't leave your hardcopy USGS map and compass at home. The battery will run out when you need it the most.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.