Originally Posted by slammer
Here's the deal. I don't like coyotes and when I see them I like to shoot them. The problem is when I'm out hiking around, I don't want to carry a full sized rifle over my shoulder in case I happen upon a coyote. I'd like to have a short and light gun capable of killing a coyote to 200 yards - something that's easy to carry either on the side of a pack or over the shoulder or chest carried. I was originally thinking of a longer barreled pistol like a Contender and then kicked around rifles with folding stocks and even the tiny survival guns that are out but if I remember right the biggest cartridge they come in is .22 mag. I will add that I will most likely top it off with a lightweight scope because my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Lot's of good options given depending on your preference. A 16" AR with collapsible stock is hard to beat.....but I prefer a lw bolt myself. Either way, looking at something like the following can make whatever you want to carry a lot more comfortable:

https://eberlestock.com/collections/gun-carry/products/gunrunner-pack

That's one I use for hunting with bolt rifles. They make different designs on the scabbard with some wider that work with AR's, etc.