Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by passport
I always use a SB die just in case. No issues so far

I use small base dies as well & have loaded thousands of rounds for multiple guns with no issues whatsoever.

It just so happened that when I needed FL dies, that was all that was available so I've used them for years.

I have a body die & a neck sizer that I use for my bolt guns.

But the SB dies used for loading for an AR, while probably not necessary for most guns/brass, hurts nothing at all. The small amount of extra sizing near the base cause no real shortening of the case life.

One the other hand, it will ensure that your sized brass will chamber, assuming you also get the HS right as well & don't leave the case HS too long for a given gun.

MM

Good post mm. The funny thing about mine. I never even knew they were SB dies until a thread on this subject came up. I went out to the shop and looked at my die sets and it turns out I had 2 small base die sets. When I bought them, I just grabbed the RCBS dies that said .223 rem and didnt even notice it said "s.b" on it. Im not one for overworking brass, but I really havent noticed the die set doing that either. I do know that out of all the AR's I load for, all the ammo always chambers without any issues. I like 100% reliable ammo and it also still shoots accurately. Im not saying you need a small base die set, but from what ive experienced, they work just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA