Originally Posted by GSPfan
I agree that the ballistics between the two choices are virtually nonexistent. This would be used mostly on white tails with a possible trips out west for mule deer. I'm not concerned with the availability of brass for the Savage as I have a good supply now. Goalie what issues if any do you have regarding the octagon barrel? It came out real nice on the 7MM/08 and I used a half round half octagon on the 38/55.

I considered a 303 British and the 30/40 when I did the 300 H&H as I wanted to use a replica of a Frasier action. However it requires a rimmed case and I had the 38/55 completed prior to the this and I have a 450/400 so my choices were somewhat limited to what I wanted regarding caliber. If I were to do a build on a rimmed case again I'd go with the replica Frasier action and reconsider the 303 British or the 30/40. At the end of the day I wanted the 300 H&H so went with the #1 action.

Issues???

More like awesome. Octagon DESERVES the 300 Savage was my equation.

308 through an octagonal barrel wearing #1 would be like me putting a Super Sniper on my 45/70 instead of a 2.5x Leupold. It may not be "wrong," but, given the options, it ain't right.