I have had two actions that I thought were torqued beyond salvation;

- one was 300 savage take-down, I don't know the serial #, I bought it as a basket-case before I was a card-carrying tinkerbell, so I didn't know any better. I could not get the bolt to raise into battery without a lot of lever pressure and crunching sounds, it appeared that the rear-end of receiver was twisted clock-wise a bit from the front end, maybe a degree or two, hard to see it..., didn't i sell that to You Roy? (..just kidding, it became my first attempt at Savage 99 lamp).

- second was a 284 basket-case, and the receiver ramp at the back of the bolt had a vertical fracture to the first screw hole on the tang. The bolt would not seat correctly in that one either. That one went toward someone's cut-away collection.

Both were obviously pushed beyond their capacity and "sprung", but did not spring back.. I think the 284's case pressure is pretty much at the design limit for the 99. Bolt actions are always going to be more durable hotrods, if that's your goal, but hey, you have two eyes...

Last edited by JeffG; 01/04/21.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG