Originally Posted by iskra
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The 270 is BRNO VZ24 action, Douglas featherweight contour barrel cut to 22" . 1909 Argentine bottom metal, Timney trigger, Wisner safety, S&K scope mounts. Leupold 6x36 with CDS.
English walnut stock, Niedner butt plate, checkered in Fleur De Lis pattern.

The G33/40 is a McGowen featherweight barrel cut to 21" , Timney trigger, Dakota 3 pos. safety. It is stocked in English walnut and has a blind magazine with a Sunny Hill trigger guard. S&K mounts Leupold 2-7x33. Weights as pictured 7lbs.

One 220 swift has a 24" #3 contour1/8 twist barrel and the other is a 22" , #1 , 1/7.7 twist. So one is short and light , the other is standard size.... I like the 220 swift smile

Also I have not re-heat treated the Argentines and so far so good.

Just the side question re "Argentines", ever done a Rockwell hardness test? I don't believe these were "surfaced hardened" (double heat treated). So it would seem such a telling test short of 'full monte' heat treatment.
Inquiring mind...
Best & Happy New Year!
John

No military or Commercial Oberndorf Mausers were "double heat treated!" They were what is collectively referred to as case hardened. The methods used to case harden them varied by time period and country/factory of manufacture. The 1909's were case hardened by a method called pack hardening. A material, like clay containing carbon, was packed onto the surfaces that were to be hardened. New material was used on critical surfaces like the lug seats, cocking and extraction cams, etc. Used material was packed onto surfaces that didn't require as much hardness or depth of case. Then they were heated in a controlled environment at a specified temperature for a specific amount of time until those surfaces absorbed the required amount of carbon. The receivers were then quenched to impart hardness and then they were drawn. So, exterior surfaces on 1909's can be easily cut with a file yet interior surfaces like the lug seats will be or were supposed to be hardened.

You have to remember that the powder used in the 7.65x53 ammo had a much different burn rate than today's powders. Those receivers were hardened accordingly for the powders used in the military ammo they were designed to fire.