Took one of my nephews on his first deer hunt last week. We practiced in advance with lots of .22lr then moved to a Montana Rifle Company .260, which he handled comfortably and skillfully.

We were hunting on the west side of South Texas in the heavy brush country of the Golden Triangle.

His first shot was on pigs, killing two with one shot. The 100 grain Barnes TTSX exited both pigs and dropped them where they stood.

The rut was on and we saw several young bucks. He was ready to go on each one. I kept telling him I thought we could do better and to wait for a mature buck. In the middle of a severe drought, rain knocked out a few hunts. The rain was desperately needed, so no complaints.

New Year’s Day was a beautiful blue sky, warm sun hitting the brush. I told him the warm sun felt good to old men and the old bucks would feel the same. Sure enough, this old monarch of the brush came out showing the stiff legged walk of the really old deer.

After a few deep breaths, he squeezed off the .260 and the 100 grain TTSX hit the high shoulder and the buck’s legs crumbled under him. He dropped where he stood and did not take a step.

I was almost as excited as he was.

He is a hunter at heart and really felt good to give him a good start. We all were telling him it might be many years before he takes another buck like this one, but he is off to a heck of a start.

[Linked Image]