I have used the X2, including to pack out a whole boned out deer and for elk quarters, the old pop up 18 ( didn't get to carry a critter, but did try 80 lbs qwickcrete mix), a new pop up 28 (no critters yet) a stone glacier r3, mystery ranch pinter and sawtooth, and kuiu icon.

For what you are doing, especially in brushy forest, I think that the pop ups are it- I particularly found the 18 amazing in that unloaded, no frame part stuck up anywhere, it was unobstrusive, and you could crawl through and under blow down without getting hung up- yet it handles a reasonably big load pretty well when extended. Not as good IMHO as say a pinter on the guidelight frame or the stone glacier, but handles it well. Newer one has frame update, no 18 anymore. IMHO. I would recommend a pack with a full size frame if you were backpacking in, then day hunting...or maybe if elk was #1, vs deer. The thing with the x2 is no load lifters, makes a big difference to me, but I am old beat up, and also used it after having used better packs for big loads. I also did break it on my 3rd elk quarter load- popped a rivet. X2 is a decent day pack, not as good for heavy loads like meat imho- although for a 1st smaller load out, and then returning with a frame, it is ok. A couple of tge newer eberlestocks with the frames and detachable bags look ok, haven't tried them.

Last edited by JRK; 01/06/21. Reason: Added content