I know this sounds wacky, and it is probably just a mind game for me, but the circumstances are this:

I may be moving to Mississippi in a few months, and MS has a "Primitive Weapon" season. It specifies that you can use a black powder muzzleloader OR: " single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer".

I don't want to buy another rifle just to hunt deer for a couple of weeks each year, but if I could easily convert my Marlin 1894 .357 lever action rifle to a single shot, it should qualify under their requirements - load from the breech end, have an exposed hammer and be .35 caliber or larger - and as a bonus, I can easily mount a low-powered scope (yes, scopes are allowed in primitive weapon season).

Now, just to make things a bit more difficult, it's just as important that the conversion be EASILY REVERSED, because I want to be able to use the rifle as a repeater for the rest of the year.

Any brilliant ideas? A plate that blocks the riser when the lever is operated so nothing can come up from the magazine? A small depression in the plate where it meets the open barrel to guide the bullet into the chamber?

I'm going to pose this question to my gunsmith when I see him in a week, but I'd love to have the puzzle at least partially worked out before I give it to him.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by czech1022; 01/07/21.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke