I was doing some re-organisation and in the process came across these photos and decided to post them just for fun and interest.

The warthog was shot in 2009 on my first hunt in Africa; with Byseewah Safaris in Namibia just a bit south of Etosha.

My PH Moses and I were sneaking along the transition from grassland to bush near a water hole looking for tracks of what I don't now remember in the late afternoon. Moses stops and says "there is a very big warthog, shoot him". I can see a silhouette of a warthog through a screen of dry yellow grass just past some bare dirt. I don't recall the range but it was relatively close, not being in the habit of firing through any kind of cover I respond "he is behind a good deal of grass", Moses replies with a good deal of intensity in his voice "very big warthog, shoot him now!". We are close and despite the screen of grass being a bit thick there was not more than a foot or so of it in front of the warthog, I decide to trust in the PH and shoot the warthog.

So I line the crosshairs up the line of the leg about 40% up from the base of the chest or as best I could tell with the screen of grass and shoot the warthog. At the shot the warthog sprints off for about 10 or 15 yards and piles up. What was interesting is the grass that the bullet picked up / pulled along on the way to the warthog and how it was caught on the offside when the bullet exited.

The rifle is a M70 in .325 WSM and I was using the 200 grain Swift A-Frame.

I never seen before or since something like this and decided to share it with the 'fire.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]