Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evnin gang. We tried that up here in Cunuckistan. Called Lerchers? Only happens in open fields & it better be a big one. Coyotes up here seem to only run as fast as they need to. Some will stay just ahead of the hounds as much as feels safe to them. When training pups I've seen them stop and wait for a while. You know when ya see them going out in front of the hounds and ya think he's going fast, miss on the first shot and watch them go up one gear. Was fun with the catch dogs for awhile but we got a lot less shooting and that's the fun in it for me. Hound guys are just a wee bit different. I saw one fast hound once that caught a couple, seen him gain on a yote going across a big field once real quick headed for a fence half way across. When they got to the fence the yote dropped one shoulder twisted and dove through the fence his front legs pulled his ass through and he was gone. Only took the hound a few seconds to go through to but in that short span the yote gained about 50 to 75yds. He was a pen dog and would stop barking when he got close to the yote to save his breath. Not good when he's way faster than the rest of the dogs and sometimes 500yds ahead. We sold him and went bag to good old trailing hounds. More fun more shooting, oh and saving deer. (Not my dogs) I ran some hounds before tracking collars but worried too much when they were late, or lost over night!!! Burnt a lot of gas driving around with binoculars till dark. Nerves wouldn't take it. Let someone else run their dogs. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

have the pen hunters bred the catch kill drive out of them up your way or do the old farmers and ranchers keep some mixed up kill dogs to protect their livestoock? my grandmother was from ontorio and she showed me her grandpa writtings about all the ranchers and farmers would turn out for a wolf hunt and almoste everone had a few dogs to throw in

Jonathan Henson