See the Mutant that runs AK Mags I think. I’ve a BO I can’t seem to find ammo for and my brother is hung up on a Mini 30 type gun like an old one he had. I’m thinking of converting the BO or grabbing an upper if it’s a more reliable option. I remember years back there were some issues with this setup but with so much done now with ARs I’m guessing it’s mostly resolved.

Which barrel maker/bolt would you use if swapping on an existing upper? The BO supposedly was built with a Shilen or other good barrel before they were on the market. I’ve not fired it ever and had it 7 years. The prior owner ran it suppressed and unsupressed without a hiccup and it doesn’t have an adjustable gas block which I think sounds odd. He’s a good friend who offered to let me try it myself but I’ve since moved. I’m not real familiar with AR designs but when I put a PRS stock and rifle buffer tube on it I noticed the old buffer had a translucent section. Maybe it was picked to cycle best. It’s matched to a 556 both built by BPM/Barnes Precision.