I posted this down in the reloading forum, but thought it might get some more views here.

I have a Remington model 721 30-06 that my grandpa gave me. I’ve been trying to work up a load for it with a few of the historical pet loads, and I’m not having much luck. And the velocities are way slower across my chronograph than I feel they should be. (52 grains 4064 and a 150 NBT only going 2790 in a 24” barrel) I decided to see how close to the lands I was getting with the 150 BT seated at book COAL. So I used my Hornady OAL gauge to see. I run the bullet in till it stops, set the screw and pull it out. The bullet gets left in the rifle, but
It easy to remove. I go insert the bullet back in the tool, and there isn’t enough case neck left to hold the bullet. So either the throat is a mile long, or the barrel is toast. I have a hard time believing that as my grandpa purchased the gun new, and quit hunting in the mid eighties. I seriously doubt he shot a box of factory ammo a year out of it. So, is it it possible that it’s shot out?