I am currently building a new house. The house is all brick but features a large front porch with two wood posts and a large front gable roof centered on the front door. In this gable there will be two large post on the porch with a kings truss framed in the center. I will also have a metal shop that [bleep] close to the house with a small wrap around porch that will also have three to four matching post in it as well.

I am currently researching what to use for this wood. I have decided on either 10x10 or 12 x 12 posts. My options in my area are Cedar, which will cost me about $6500. Fir which will cost me $4200. Or Pine that has been rough sawed and lightly sanded for $2100. Prices are for 12 x 12.

The cedar is very hard to come by right now so I may be limited to 10x10 if I choose that. I have price the big chain local lumber yards and a specialty shop that sells mostly items for timber framed homes.

According to the guy I talked with the pine boards in his opinion would be just as good as the cedar. The rough sawed cut that was lightly sanded with 60 grit sand paper would look the best for what I wanted them for. All of the boards are dried lumber but have not been chemically treated. They will all need staining or sealing of some kind.

I do not have much knowledge about wood as in which lasts the longest and what and what is not worth the money. The specialty shop also offers other kinds of finishing for the wood to make it look like reclaimed wood.

I would welcome any opinions. Here is link to the finishes.

https://www.midwesttimbersupply.com/custom-textures-and-finishes/

Last edited by H5farm; 01/15/21.