DeanAnderson: I love my heavy barrel 17 Mach2 Varmint Rifles.
They are both splendidly accurate and the round is simply amazingly lethal for such a small and quiet cartridge!
I AM a "dedicated" Ground Squirrel Hunter and it excels at that task.
I have only shot ONE "suppressed" 17 Mach2 and that was a re-worked heavy barrel Ruger MK-II pistol.
It was just wonderful to shoot and VERY accurate as well.
My friend who owns it and put it together a few years ago was NOT able to travel to Montana this year (due to covid) so I did not get to use it this year - hope to next year.
Indeed that is another MAIN selling point for the 17 Mach2 over the 22 L.R. - no ricochet's to worry about. The bullets are very frangible and simply come apart on impact with most anything.
The highlight of my Hunting with a 17 Mach2 was a "one shot kill" on a big boar Badger!
I shot him head on right in the Adams Apple at the mouth of his den and he never moved an inch!
Badgers seem to easily "absorb" 22 L.R. rounds and run off to a burrow before they expire.
I wish that I could see into the future regarding 17 Mach2 ammo availability - but I can't.
So I have had a "lifetime supply" of Hornady 17 Mach2 ammo on hand for over a year now.
I saw some at a Murdochs hardware and feed store here in SW Montana yesterday at $8.99 per box of 50.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy