Originally Posted by tops911
I'm not sure what is considered high fur drive. However I currently own 2 DD and had another one who has passed away. My first DD hated cats and would take one out at any chance, I lost count of how many she took out (probably in the 20s), she got a couple of ground hogs too. We don't really go after fur while hunting but it adds to the adventure while on walks or bird hunting. My current dog in the last 3 years while on walks or bird hunting has killed a mountain lion cub, 6 or so raccoons and a couple of feral house cats. My puppy was learning the game when my older dog was fighting the raccoons, always righ there in the mix but did not jump on the raccoon but she did start chasing them by the end of the hunt (she was about 6 months old at the time). I could deer hunt with my older dog, she has pointed many-many bedded deer while bird hunting. She has pointed and chased several coyotes and foxes but never able to catch one. She has chased a black bear, and last year we had a nice point that turned out to be a black bear that surprised me when I flushed it! They also point rattle snakes and porcupines. I have a friend who has used his 2 DDs to hunt mountain lions here in Montana, I think in the last 2 seasons they've treed at least 4 lions and harvested at least 2 of them.
I'd say most DDs have a pretty high fur drive. High enough that I want to hunt 2 dogs together to look out for each other when one tangles with a big old raccoon. I have hunted with other dogs who showed no interest or desire to jump in and help with the raccoons. Because of the DD fur drive I always carry a 22 pistol while out on walks to help the fights end faster if needed. I hope this helps

cool the reason i ask the old man that told me about the breed said when he was younger on his parents ranche his pointed birds brought back ducks and treed bobcats and coons and run down rabbits fox and bayed up coyotes hogs and deer. that got me to reading about the breeds seems like there were areas in germany there were areas were fur game like rabbits fox hogs and deer were more common then birds whice would be like around here. then i found out the few people that had them in the southeast were i am at would take the same pair of dogs that hunted bobwhits or doves with and throw them on a coyote or hog track and have a good chanch of running them down. so it sounded like a pair of them could take down just about anything around here.

Jonathan Henson