Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
To put this in perspective and with zero political spin on this, here is a reality check:

Anybody who is going to be working close to a VIP, diplomat, dignitary, etc is going to be vetted. National Guardsmen, Full time members of the military, Contractors, etc. Even Law Enforcement members who are assigned to work executive protection, or to assist in certain roles are checked. It is perfectly normal.

This may or may not come as a surprise to some, but there are a substantial number of gang members in the military and have been for years. There are Cartel members in the U.S. Military. Can you imagine the phenomenal crap storm that would happen if one of those gang/cartel members who happens to also be a National Guardsman killed or kidnapped a Senator or other VIP?

EVERYBODY would be screaming their heads off, saying "Why didn't you vet those people!", "How stupid are you?!?!" etc, etc. Since every one is a subject matter expert on high level dignitary protection, and are phenomenal Monday Morning QBs.

So, yes, Guardsmen are going to get vetted, even if they are never going to allow them into critical positions, or give them ammo for their rifles.

Again a well written and reasonable response from a well respected member of the 'Fire. Thanks you, Sir.

But what irks me is the story as it is presented in the media and the implication, by design (I feel), that military veterans are NOT to be trusted. Just like Senator Feinstein of California saying, "basically all veterans are insane" to Janet Napolitano never discussing one of her regional centers warning that "retuning veterans" were ripe for recruitment in domestic terror organizations. To sum up what is bothering me is that there seems to be a deliberate campaign to sew negative stereotypes about veterans to use against them in the future. Some of us have lived through that before, especially in blue states.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe