Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by efw
Keep in mind that Ackley’s original idea around the “Ackley Improved” concept was that the chamber be cut in such a way as to headspace on the shoulder of the parent cartridge. Therefore, an “AI” chamber cut properly will allow firing of both 338-06 A-Square & 338-06 AI cartridges.

The 35 Whelen brass idea posted above would remedy the problem of an AI chamber improperly cut, but shouldn’t be necessary if properly executed.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Seafire
All I can add to this conversation is as follows..... and forgive me if it is of no interest to your question...

I have a 338/06 which was a rebore on a 270 barrel on a Model 70 LA.

A good friend has a 338/06 AI on a Ruger Long Action, and an ER Shaw chambered barrel...

We were together at the range one day with our chronographs... just ran into each other testing loads and happen to have the 338/06s with us..

We had several loads using the same powder and bullets... both with 24 inch barreled rifles..

Mine consistently had about 100 fps more velocity than his did using the same bullets and same powder... although his happened to have a few more grains loaded, it being an AI...

we both were shooting 200 and 225 grain Hornady SPs in ours...

the best accuracy was using H 380 powder for both of us...and also pretty close to top in velocity also...

Greg replaced his barrel ( and sold it) and rebarreled with a Shaw 338/06 barrel.... that one did better in velocity than the AI version
and was less fincky, being able to skip the fireforming step on the brass...

best of luck on your choice...338/06 is a damn fine caliber... my 338 mag has been a dust collector ever since...
I'd get rid of the 338 Mag, if I didn't have the flaw of not getting rid of an accurate rifle... the 338 Mag is also a Model 70...

I have a 338-06. I neck up '06 brass, easy using sizer with tapered expander. All my 338-06 ammo has '06 headstamps...

Don't think I'd go AI with that one. Seems to me the reward wouldn't justify the hassle..

DF

I don't think any are worth the hassle

Originally Posted by efw
Keep in mind that Ackley’s original idea around the “Ackley Improved” concept was that the chamber be cut in such a way as to headspace on the shoulder of the parent cartridge. Therefore, an “AI” chamber cut properly will allow firing of both 338-06 A-Square & 338-06 AI cartridges.

The 35 Whelen brass idea posted above would remedy the problem of an AI chamber improperly cut, but shouldn’t be necessary if properly executed.

+1

Some rounds benefit from AI, some not so much.

30-06 is oft said to not be worth the trouble, think I'd include 338-06 in that group.

I'd like to hear from those who think otherwise.

DF

The 375 H&H definitely benefits as does the 300 H&H

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first