Originally Posted by rost495
Thats what I was figuring on the hogster scope. Not that much range. Going pulsar for sure. A bit more money and even the mid priced IE 3500 or so are easy good to 300 yards on decent size pigs. Just makes no sense to save a bit in the end but not be able to shoot past 100 yards.

There were no bait stands on this very large field and pasture field so kind of guessed where hogs would be and travel when it became dark.

The field was over a 1000 yards long so imagine sitting in pitch black dark and getting close enough for a shot. Day time no problem. Sitting on a bait stand would have made much more easy.

Im sure after some more hands -on I would be comfortable out to 200 to 250 yards at 4X. I spotted pigs over 400 yards away scanning with scope and trying to get close enough in the dark and know yardage and capability of scope was what held me back on shots. I could have shot more pigs and a few coyotes. Plus there were about 40 deer running around on the field and coyotes harassing the deer. You would not even know they were on the field until you scanned with thermal. 3 buttons on top of scope and just get to using them in pitch black. No negatives on the scope itself especially in that price range.

The big plus with the Hogster is you can remove and use as a scanning device and put back on your rifle for a shot. I had a handheld Flir too but not near ly as good as the Hogster.

Looking forward to using it more and give better feedback

Last edited by ribka; 01/20/21.