Ron asked me to donate it to the Cody Museum eventually. It'll go there when I'm too decrepit to take it to collector gun shows.
Rick, it was probably done by one of the German engravers like Gustave Kirchner. The O'Conner rifle which was produced at about this time was done by Gustave Kirchner according to his family. The O'Conner letter is dated June 14th, 1976, and the inscription on the bottom of the receiver to William J. O'Conner is dated September 1969. Rentzschke had left Savage employ by that time. The rifle I got from Ron is closer appearance wise to the rifle that Savage presented to Joseph V. Falcon in December 1967. The serial number places it between the O'Conner rifle and the Falcon rifle. I think J.R. LaRue sold the rifle to Ron many years ago. Ron doesn't have any provenance on the rifle. I'll request a Cody letter on it right away.
These three rifles will be covered in great detail in the new book. Looks like it's going to have 800 plus photos.
Thanks for all the comments, David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]