I know many animals have fallen to Scenars and SMK-HP, but I'd prefer a Barnes if I wanted to use a match type bullet for hunting. The 130 VLD is a known Deer hammer.....

That said, TOO many good hunting bullets from 120-130 which I feel is a sweet spot for the mid-sized 6.5s. The 130 AB is my Go to, even in the Swede. IF I hunted Really LR shots like over 500 yds, then I would lean on the 143 like H22 above.

120BT is an old bullet that does it's thing, just like the 129 SP. Hard to find a bad 6.5 bullet, but me personally, I just can't find a reason to want to use a pure target type bullet for hunting. I know they tend to often work, but I'd not personally take a chance on a pure target designed bullet on a game animal. Just my .02

For all around, it's nice to know 1) chosen bullet expands near and far 2) weight retention via jacket integrity ensures penetration and exits for the situation you might want a blood trail.

The 130 AB for me, blows thru both shoulders of a WT if so desired, did so at 100 yds on an 8pt WT broadside. Also, will expand and dump deer DRT at 300 yds, (for me) and likely a good deal further. Again, so many good 'hunting' bullets to use......

DF, I had some custom 260s that loved the 123s, used Scenars and Nosler. That said, I'd practice with those, confirm POA/POI with 120 BTs and roll with them if I wanted a mild recoiling flat shooting load.

FWIW, I would use 120-130s as a mainstay in the Grendel, 47 Lapua, Creed, 260, and Swede - based on how I hunt in my area.

Good hunting folks.

Last edited by 65BR; 01/24/21.