Several years ago after going through a few ammo/primer/powder shortages, I started stocking up when prices were normal and even on sale. Not necessarily hoarding or panic buying per se, but making sure I wasn't caught with my pants down when supplies were slim. I figured it was money in the bank, a good investment that didn't have an expiration date if stored properly.

Anyway - one year when I was reviewing our homeowner's policy and reading the fine print, I found out there were limits regarding how much powder could be stored. Maybe I was naive by not knowing that, but as a PSA to anyone else out there that may not be aware, you might want to review your policy if you keep lots of components around.

It would be a beotch if a chimney fire leveled your house but the investigators found out how much powder was stored on the premises. A claim denied on that basis would really suck. I now keep powder split up between various dwellings / buildings to stay within those parameters.

NFPA also has guidelines on how specific components should be stored. Just another consideration, something to think about while waiting for Varmintguy to log in.