Rick, my 10.5 year old Yellow Lab went through that back in 2012. I was there for the whole thing and it scared me to death not being able to "fix" her. She went limp, eyes going in odd directions, could not stand or walk, etc. I lay on top of her to calm her while talking to the vet. She would panic when I tried picking her up to take her to the vet. Finally, two neighbors helped me wrap her into a blanket to get her to the animal hospital. She did not eat for four days at the vet but would drink water and pee on the pad under her. No poop.

That happened on Monday and we brought her home on Thursday night saying, "If she's not gonna make it, she will die at home with us." We made a hospital area with pads and blankets and slept by her on the sofa to keep her company. My wife cooked chicken and rice and she finally started eating small amounts. She would take small sips of water. By Sunday, she still had not pooped so I told my wife we have to get her outside. I had built a ramp off our deck for her to use when healed but she still would not try to walk. So, I placed a shooting mat with a carry strap on a quilt and rolled her over onto it. We gently pulled our down the ramp and as soon as her foot touched grass, she started fighting to stand. I lifted her and supported her while she took the hugest poop that I have ever seen! I held her as she wobbled and took her first few steps in almost a week. Slowly, she recovered. I promised her, "Ellie Mae, you fight your way through this and I will never leave you." Well, I had to work 8 more months before taking early retirement at age 61. I never left home overnight for 4.5 years. Ellie Mae's eyes finally straightened back out but her depth perception was effected. Her right side was effected but she learned to throw her right front foot out and could eventually lope around the yard.

We had to find suitable water and food bowls to accommodate her vision. We also placed runners on our hardwoods to help her get traction.

By the way, my vet of 30 years diagnosed her with IV Disease as well saying that dogs didn't have strokes. I love and respect Dr. Furr completely, but I have to disagree with him on this one. I asked a fellow gun club member who was also a lab lover if he thought dogs have strokes. His answer was a good one. "Dogs have a brain. Bloodclots cause strokes. Strokes are brain attacks." He went on to say that he was sure that my vet had a reason for stating that but he could not agree. He was a retired neurosurgeon.

Lot's of love and prayers brought that girl back to us. I am grateful we had her for 4.5 years after her stroke. By age 15, her hips failed and her eyes told me it was time. I became even closer to her than I was before her stroke and am a better man for having her in my life.

Best wishes for your pups recovery and enjoy every extra day you have with her.

critter_bill

Attached Images
Just_a_Dog (Small).jpg (28.85 KB, 125 downloads)
Last edited by critter_bill; 01/26/21. Reason: Spelling

NRA Life VHA Life
US Army Security Agency (72-77)
US Army INSCOM (77-79)