Last time I'm voting for him.....

Dear Joe:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the certification of the Electoral College vote on January 6, 2021. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

On January 6, 2021, the quadrennial joint session of Congress to count the Electoral College votes of the 50 states and Washington, D.C. was disrupted when demonstrators stormed the Capitol, fought with law enforcement, and attempted to disrupt our democracy. This stunning display of disrespect for the law is un-American, and those that attacked the Capitol should face the full extent of the law. I applaud the U.S. Capitol Police officers who stood bravely in harm's way, and am deeply grateful to all of the law enforcement professionals and first responders who deployed to help restore order. This assault did not succeed in deterring or intimidating Congress, and we ultimately reconvened and certified the vote of the Electoral College. The violence we saw only underscores the importance of our duty as lawmakers to support and defend the Constitution. Americans deserve better than the disturbing and avoidable episode that played out at our nation's Capitol. It is incumbent upon us to demand better from each other.

The Constitution affords all Americans the right to vote, and integrity of our elections is fundamental to preserving this right. Many Americans are concerned about the integrity of the election, and I share the belief that allegations of irregularities and fraud need to be investigated to their fullest extent. At a time when trust in our institutions is near an all-time-low, we must remain vigilant and continue to work together to preserve the right to vote and improve our election procedures. To that end, I believe that establishing an independent, bipartisan commission - much like was done following the 2000 and 2004 elections - to examine election irregularities and establish best practices is an important response.

President Trump's legal team filed numerous lawsuits across multiple states challenging the election outcome. I fully supported President Trump's right to challenge those results and pursue legal remedies provided under the Constitution, as well as federal and state law. However, none of the legal arguments or evidence presented by the President's legal team convinced the more than 50 state and federal courts that sat in judgment. Every single lawsuit was ultimately rejected, some on the merits, some on procedural grounds, but both equally dispositive. These lawsuits were heard by well-respected jurists - many of whom were nominated by President Trump himself.

As a former judge, I approached the certification of the Electoral College vote with the same impartial, evidence-based decision-making as I did my job on the bench. But as I said before January 6th, I do not view my job under the Constitution and laws of the United States as a court of last resort. I followed the election recounts and court cases brought by the President's legal team very closely, and determined the evidence and arguments presented did not warrant overturning the election results.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for your comments on this important issue.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510

Tel: (202) 224-2934

Fax: (202) 228-2856

http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Illegitimi non carborundum