Originally Posted by broshae
Hello All,

First post here. I bought a “sporterized” 1943 Husqvarna M/96 a few years ago and am finally getting around to doing some work on it. The barrel has been cut down to 24” and the stock has been shortened as well. My idea was to get a B&C stock and see if I can massage this unit into a decent looking hunting rifle, including re-contouring the barrel. So here is the question:

Does anyone know how this barrel would have been manufactured? Hammer-forged? Button rifled?

I have read differing reports on results after contouring Mauser barrels. It seems only cut rifled barrels are good candidates for contouring but can’t seem to find how these ones were made.

Thanks

Talk about timely, a friend just texted me pics of his latest 96 that he contoured the barrel on. It drives tacks. I've recontoured many, IMHO, they recontour better than a Shaw barrel does!

Never felt the need for a COO conversion, seen many a fubar conversion. Too bad Ed Lapour isn't making his safeties anymore, they were a three position style shroud with large flange and a COO conversion.

You don't need all that to make one into a nice hunting rifle. But if it floats your boat, have at it.