Blin-- Here is the story on the musket. In the early 60's I was acquainted with a man who was then in his early eighties. He said the musket was the one that "they" had given his father when he joined the army at age 15 and that his father was in the battle of Edward's station (Champions Hill) outside Vicksburg. I read a hand written manuscript that his father had composed in later life.

The musket is a French Charlville M1787 converted to percussion fire. The bayonet and scabbard were still with it. My friend had no living close relatives and when he died he left me his father's musket.

The rest of the story: From the manuscript and official records:

I found his father in the 1860 Mississippi census. The age would have been correct. In 1863 the Confederate army did not take 15 year old boys unless they lied about their age. However when Grant landed below Vicksburg and began his encircling movements the Mississippi milita was called out. (true) I believe he was militia. At this time it consisted of young boys and old men and they were armed with anything that was available. Real bottom of the barrel stuff. Thus the old converted flinter. The better organized groups had Mississippi rifles.

When his company got to the Army they were given to Capt. Martin. (there was a capt Martin in Featherston's brigade) and were mixed in with the regular troops on the Raymond road. He was then sent out as a picket along with the regulars. ( Featherston's brigade was responsible for picketing Gen Loring's right)

The yankees soon advanced and the pickets came under musket and cannon fire. ( true). They fell back on the mail line as they were supposed to do but most of the militia became paniced and kept going. ( true from battle field reports) When the main line saw the fleeing pickets they broke also (true) but were later rallyed briefly before a final retreat to the black warrior river.

Our 15 year old hero however decided that he had had enough war to last him and went home carrying his musket with him. He hid out for the rest of the war. The manuscript gives several individual names some of which I have been able to identify. I believe the manuscript is authentic and I wish I still knew where it was. A local historical society had it but the building burned.

That is the story of the musket as I know it.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati