Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by LJB
Originally Posted by RinB

338Rules
On that 6.5-280AI.... If you want one you will get one. But a really great rifle builder I know started with a 6.5-06 and then tried at least 4 different chamber configurations to optimize it. There were shoulder angles of 28, 30, and 40. There were different body tapers. When he got to the “final most bestest” version, for which he had custom dies built, he said it was a waste of time and suggested the 6.5-06. So there you go.

Lastly, my beagle doesn’t give a rip about cartridges because she is preoccupied with getting a treat.

Given Nosler 280 AI brass and a standard style (not the Type S bushing) Redding full length sizing die, the 6.5-280 AI is just as easy as the 6.5-06. I've been working with one lately. It's a very likable cartridge.

LJB Why not the Redding Type S bushing die ?

The Redding Type S dies (either FLR or NS) do not resize the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder interface. This is true for every cartridge on which I have used them. When necking 280 AI cases down to 6.5-280 AI with the Type S die this "reverse donut" can be too large to fit in the 6.5-280 AI chamber. The standard die on the other hand sizes the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder interface, which allows the necked down brass to chamber easily. Of course, once the initial neck reduction is done, the 280 AI Type S bushing die (with the right size bushing) can be used if you want to do so.