Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by tshatto
Hi ya'll,
This isn't sounding good. Just had a get together with my huntin buds, we decided to quit Montana and give Colorado a try this year. I haven't been in Co since 2012. We found elk then but there was a lot of hunting pressure, By the sounds of it elk numbers are down, what's the pressure like on public ground? And is there anywhere to hunt you won't run into (or get run over by) atvs? Thanks

Hunting pressure has become ridiculous. Any OTC unit is overrun, You can get away from ATV's by hunting wilderness areas. Th elk are there,but they come hard .Really, I would look at Wyoming if I were spending NR dollars for tags..

A person might see thousands of elk tracks which can be made by a herd of 50 moving around,but most likley they were headed for private land or it was late enough for them to be migratiing

I agree with doing the out-of-State hunt in Wyoming.

Montana seems to be having trouble reconciling reality with FWP's numbers too. They're sure bent on killing off all the elk. All these shoulder seasons and cow tags and such. I don't think it is happening by mistake.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.