Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
On overnight trips (where weight and space are considerations): Do you carry a folder in your pocket (Benchmade, Spyderco, whatever) in addition to a multitool and/or a dedicated butchering knife?

I always carry 2. My choice of folder is the Gerber LST. At less than 2 ounces It doesn't really even count. It is for diaphragm and "bung hole." Generally I carry a fixed bladed knife for the rest of the job though I do have one folder I sometimes use for the skinning as well.

The real question for me is whether I carry a third knife or not. Usually not, but sometimes.

I don't carry a multi-tool when I hunt. They're a friggin' brick. Keep your gear in good condition and address the issues that you might use a multi-tool for back at home. The thought of carrying one reminds me of some Toyota guys I used to four wheel with ... they'd drive their barely running POS rigs up into the woods, then spend 3 hours laying in the snow fixing stuff that they should have fixed back at home in the warm, dry garage. I prefer doing maintenance to doing repairs. Maybe that's just a "me" thing.

I also don't carry a hatchet or saw. Just not enough payback on the weight. I have 'em. They stay in the truck unless some weird circumstance requires me to go back for a second load, then I might take them if I know I'll need them, but I sure don't pack them when I'm hunting.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...