My lab just turned nine and I am starting to research different breeds knowing that in the next couple years I will need to pick up another hunting dog.
I currently hunt Pheasant and Grouse with my lab. I also waterfowl hunt, but have only used my buddies dog for this so far.

I tried a GSP for a few years but honestly it was just too much dog for our family. My skills at training a pointer were lacking and our lifestyle was just too busy to give the dog the attention and excersise it deserved. Fortunately a good friend of our family was able to adopt him from us.

So now that I am casually looking at dog breeds I am curious what the Fire would recommend as far as gun dog breeds go.
The pheasant hunting I do is on stocked birds in swamps, hardwoods, and fields. The ruffed grouse hunting I do is in Northern Maine and ranges from moderate to thick cover.

I hunt anywhere from 1-3 days a week during the bird season here. The dog would need to be a pet first and a hunter second. I prefer a dog that hunts close. (My lab stays within shotgun range most of the time). I am not opposed to another Lab but would like to try a different breed if I can find the right one.

I was reading about the Clumber Spaniel and their slow methodical hunting stye. I have yet to talk to an owner of this breed yet so getting first hand experience has been difficult

My kids like the looks of the Pudel Pointer and Pointing Griffon but I worry that they are as hyper as the GSP.

Any breed or info you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. I still feel like I have some time to make decision so I am not in a huge rush to pick a breed and breeder. I would rather put the time in doing research while I can.

Thanks