Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by BigNate
Those are perfect if you have a short action .257 Roberts. I don't, but I try to keep a small pile of .257 bullets on hand so I ordered some of these a while back. My M77 Roberts doesn't shoot anything great, but seems to shoot everything fairly well. I've tried everything from 60gr RN meant for the .25-20 up to 120's. One of the best shooting was a load for coyotes 75gr Hornady HP over IMR4064. Partitions all shoot just a little over an inch.

Have you tried the 90 grain Sierra HPBT Gamekings? This bullet has shot good groups in nearly every rifle that I've shoot them from. My Ruger 77s in 257 Roberts both have long throats and do better with bullet 110 grain and heavier. A friend had a #1 in 257 Roberts that had such a long throat that it wouldn't shoot anything to his standards, so he had it rechambered to 25-06 and groups were much improved.

I and several acquaintances tried the 90 grain Sierra HPBT Gamekings in our Bob's and 250 Savages and found the accuracy to be fantastic, but not reliable on Whitetails so we quit using them. I have killed many a coyote with them with in a Savage 99-A 250-3000, other wise if a .257 Roberts, 250-3000 or 25-06 does not test out well with that bullet, there is usually something wrong with the rifle.

Sierra says: "The 90 grain #1615 Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet was designed originally as a varmint bullet, but it has taken on an expanded role. This bullet is extremely accurate at all velocity levels, making it suitable for the entire range of 25 caliber cartridges. It will perform as a varmint bullet at high velocities, but it may also be used on medium game from smaller-capacity cartridges, such as the 250-3000 Savage and 257 Roberts."

When they mention .257R velocities, they probably haven't read much here on the Fire, where 3,250 fps is a reasonable 100 gr. velocity, 90's would probably move faster....

As I posted before, the SGK HPBT is a very accurate bullet and in larger rounds, a deadly deer bullet. I'd not be afraid to hunt deer with the 25 cal version, though I may not push it to 3,300+ fps... shocked

DF