I graduated in 2015 with a bachelors of science Metallurgical engineering degree. I had 50k in student loans when I graduated and I had multiple job offers when I graduated because I went to one of the top schools for that degree. I knew the degree I was getting and how I would be able to pay it back. I had 10 years to pay it and I did it in 5. I think student loans are just handed out to anyone and everyone and it should really be based on the degree you are working towards. If you are getting an art history degree you can only borrow up to a certain amount. If you are getting an engineering degree where the average starting salary for your program is 72,000$ then you might be allowed to borrow more. Also I saw a lot of students that finished their bachelors and started right in on a masters and PHD. When they graduated they only might make 90,000. Is an extra 50k in student debt a smart move to only make 18k higher starting salary if that? They really need to look at it as a business proposal when they give out student loans.

Last edited by clwg97; 02/08/21.