Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by aalf
I guess it depends on your accuracy requirements.....
My 308's and 30x47's in Hunter BR were DOA at or before 2500 rounds.
If you're content hitting the broadside of a barn from the inside, you're GTG for quite a bit longer......

So how big a groups were those wore out 2500 down the tube barrels shooting?

IBS Hunter Benchrest is score shooting, not group shooting.

This is the 100 yard target:

[Linked Image from pistoleer.com]

The lower right hand bull is the sighter, & you can shoot there as many times you want during the 7 minute relay. The other five bulls, get one shot each, with the goal of hitting the middle. Center is the 10 ring, and if you hit the dot in the middle, it's scored as an X.

You do that five times, 25 shots total, with a possible 250 25X perfect score. Best edge scoring, meaning if you cut the edge on the next higher scoring ring, it counts. To be competitive, you best not drop much more than one point at 100, and the X count better be in the upper teens.

Then you move to 200 yards, and do it all again. Add both yardages together, for a possible 500 50 X aggregate total.

Generally, the match is won at the 200 yard line, if you don't give up much at 100.

When you start hunting and pecking all around the 10 ring, and can't seem to put them in the middle, time for a new barrel.

Short story.....

I had retired a barrel. The upcoming match day, winds were forecast to be pretty sporty, so I decided to take the good barrel off, and screw the old one back on, thinking I wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage with the upcoming conditions.

Of course the weatherman missed by a mile, and the winds were actually quite favorable. I couldn't find the 10 ring that day to save my ass, and finished way down the pack. That barrel came off and never saw the light of day again.....