You'll get alot of advice for sure. Big Sky does pretty well, I been doing it for about 3-4yrs wade and yak fishing.

More than one way to jig and everyone has their favorite method and gear. For mini jigs, gear is usually ultralight spinning gear with anywhere from 6ft to 8ft rods, 2 to 4lb test on 1000 size reels. A good starter rod is the TCB rod from Trout Magnet. I have gravitated to mostly JDM spinning equipment but that is an entirely different thread in itself.

Jig weights from 1/32 to 1/8 oz depending on water conditions. You can do well with crappie tubes and/or marabou jigs. I tie my own but you can buy marabou jigs from PJs Tackle, Lilley's Landing and ZigJigs. Crappie tubes 1.5" - 2" in bulk off Ebay.

For high fast or bigger deeper waterways one can move up to light or med light action rods with heavier line and jigs up to 1/4oz.

If you have the time tying your own jigs is the way to go since it opens up endless patterns and you can throw something the trout haven't seen. Colors depend on conditions and mood of the trout but some colors are more consistent than others. Colors also depend on the species of trout in some waters.

Lots of YouTube videos on trout jigging and pay attention to the fly fishers, they are basically jig fishing nowadays with fly fishing equipment. Always make friends with the fly fishermen if you run into them, most are helpful and want to impress you with their knowledge.

99% of the time a trout takes a jig on the fall so you have to pay attention. Some folks are line watchers and others feel/watch the rod tip. Sometimes I'll float fish on certain runs or lakes if there is chop.