Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Okay, so school me on that. Just trying to understand. If the bullet isn't yawing, a faster spin can raise the BC? Or is something else at play here?

The longer the bullet and the higher its BC, the more spin it needs not just to fly straight but to realize its full BC value. Long rifle bullets tend to get more stable as they fly, at least until they get to the trans-sonic velocity range, but bullets that have enough spin to fly nose-forward may still experience a sort of precession in flight before they settle down. This precession significantly reduces the BC value of the bullet. A fully stabilized bullet, according to current ballistics, experiences a minimum of precession due to its spin rate, and thus has a maximized BC based on its shape.

I came to all this stuff by reading the writings of Bryan Litz, a professional ballistician who does some work for Berger along with independent research. I'm trying to simplify what I've gleaned into a few sentences. I hope I didn't confuse further due to not having finished my coffee yet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.