Originally Posted by colodog
I like to prove I can consistently hit my target at longer ranges than I expect to see when I'm hunting.
If I haven't proven I can do it in practice, I don't take the shot on live animals.

That's great advice right there. I won't take a shot either, unless I'm 100% sure. 1 shot 1 kill... I'll give an example. The longest shot on a buck I've taken was 648 yards:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Shooting downhill with angle comp on. Actual straight line yardage to buck was closer to 700. I practice shooting out to 900 yards when I draw this tag, so 650 yards is a chip shot. That's 1 example. The next is during the off season I practice shooting out to 500 yards on private property. 500 is all we can safely get there, but its close to home and convenient. During the fires last summer, I shot in the smoke. Visibility was horrible, but this is how one of my rifles shot that day:
Generally that rifle prints 2.5" 10 shot groups at 500 yards... This at 100:

You can't even see the target in the picture because of the smoke:

I generally practice shooting at the tree I built: A 2" diameter target is even a challenge at 400 yards. If you can hit it 8 out of 10 times, you are doing pretty damn good...

Keep in mind a deers vitals are roughly the size of a paper plate. On a perfect day with very minimal wind, I'd shoot a buck at 900 yards. If I have been practicing at that range.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA